From 3 March 2019, we are disabling the cryptographic protocol TLS 1.0 on all memoQ cloud instances and memoQ hosted servers in order to switch to TLS 1.1 or higher, as suggested by the PCI Council.
Please note that this information is not relevant to memoQ users with server installed on-premises, and translators who never connect to a memoQ server.
The current versions of all popular operating systems and web browsers can handle TLS 1.1, therefore, the change shouldn't cause any problems to memoQ users. Major technology companies also announced the switch to newer TLS versions:
- Microsoft: Office 365 from November 2018, Internet Explorer/Edge from early 2020
- Google: January 2020
- Apple: March 2020
These companies will deprecate TLS versions 1.0 and 1.1 at the same time. For increased security, we are doing this in two steps: removing support for version 1.0 now, and for version 1.1 in early 2020.
What is Transport Layer Security (TLS)?
TLS is a set of protocols that provide secure network (internet and/or local network) communication between computers (for example, between a memoQ server and a translator’s PC). It is used by many applications, such as web browsers, email clients – and the memoQ desktop app. TLS encrypts the information between those computers. This means that even if an unauthorized person captures the data, they cannot read it without the decryption keys. Learn more here
What happens when a server and a client computer establish a connection protected by TLS?
- The client communicates the server on the highest version of TLS it can use
- The server checks what TLS versions it can use, and communicates the client the highest TLS version they can both use to establish secure connection.
Learn more here
When does memoQ use a TLS connection?
If you connect to a memoQ Cloud or memoQ server using any of the following ways, you use TLS:
- The memoQ desktop app
- memoQWeb in a browser
- Customer Portal in a browser
- memoQ’s Web Services (WS) API
- memoQ’s Resources API
- Server-to-server connection
How to avoid connection issues?
Make sure to have one of the browsers listed below:
- Google Chrome: Version 38 or newer
- Firefox: Version 27 or newer
- Microsoft Internet Explorer: Version 11 or newer
- Microsoft Edge
- Opera: Version 20 or newer
- Mobile Safari versions 5 and newer for iOS 5 and newer
- Desktop Safari versions 7 and newer for OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and newer
You also need one of these operating systems:
- Windows 7 or newer
- Windows Server 2008 SP2 or newer
- OS X 10.9 or newer
- IOS 5.0 or newer
- Android 5.0 or newer
How to realize a TLS compatibility issue?
When connecting to a memoQ Cloud or memoQ server with the desktop memoQ app, the following error page would appear: “Cannot connect to <name of server>”.
When connecting to a memoQ Cloud or memoQ server using memoQWeb in a browser, the following error page would appear: “Couldn't establish SSL handshake”.
memoQ is among the world's leading translation management systems. The favorite computer-assisted translation tool of many translators around the globe.